Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Rock Climbing

Josh & I have our one year anniversary coming up November 24th this year and since we won't be able to spend it together I asked Josh if could plan a special date night while I was there to celebrate it a month early.  He was not thrilled at this task, especially because I asked that it be romantic.

So today, Friday, Josh doesn't have work or class and he planned a whole day, he said he had a fair bit planned in case somethings didn't fall through.  We woke up and headed out to go rock climbing.  We both enjoy rock climbing so I was excited, and he said that at the park we were going to there was  Quilt Fair or Show going on and we could check that out too.  Very thoughtful because I really enjoy crafts.

This is the view over the cliff.  It was a really nice day.


I really like this picture, the gazebo gives a nice frame to the trees and sky.


I was playing around with my color filter on my camera and liked the blue hue but couldn't decide which I liked best so I kept both versions. 


Josh deleted this picture on his computer but I like it,  I don't get very many pictures of him so I try to take ones when I get a chance.  


I like this one, I think Josh looks nice and comfortable maybe just relaxed, but he is always like that.  So I don't know why this is different, but I guess I just remember sitting with him and it brings back nice memories.  


This one just makes me laugh, he tries so hard to take lots of pictures and I really appreciate it.  I like having memories.  


This is one route we climbed.  My shoes Josh got were just TOO tight, even for rock climbing shoes so I opted to go barefoot.  Josh said I did well, I don't know, I feel like I did really poorly.  It is a very different feel to not have the rubber on the shoes to help you grip with your toes into the rock surface.  But I got through two easy routes.  


Josh told me he picked these routes because he remembered this being written on the rock surface. It says, "Be my girlfriend."  Honestly that wasn't planned but I like to pretend it is.  Josh actually really didn't like that someone defaced the rock surface.  


Here is another route I did, after this one Josh asked if we were done so we could watch the sun set over the cliff but we drove all this way I felt we should do at least one more before we lost daylight.  I am not a strong climber even with proper gear so without my shoes I was slower and less confident so it took longer.  


On our last route we had to rappel down and Josh knows I really hate that so he tried his best to simulate just a normal belay down like when rock climbing but I don't know if it is psychological or what but I had a panic attack going down and came close to hyper-ventilating.   Josh tried so hard to be patient and calm me down and afterward I kept promising to him that I wasn't mad at him.  Honestly I think I get mad at myself for not being more capable and for getting scared and frustrated at my own weaknesses.  He never makes me feel anything less than strong and capable and never puts me down for not being a wilderness woman, I am just really hard on myself.  

So I cried the whole way down, and I don't know if I just reached an emotional max or what but I cried the whole way up too.  I GENUINELY enjoy rock climbing.  I have no idea why I kept crying I knew I was safe, Josh would NEVER put me in a dangerous situation.  I felt bad, he planned a really fun afternoon which I enjoyed, the area was beautiful, rock climbing is fun, and I had my boyfriend to cheer me on and tell me how great I was doing!

OHHH remember my beautiful pedicure with my Halloween design?!  Climbing barefoot, my nails chipped, I think I screamed or cried maybe in pain I don't know because Josh belaying was seriously concerned until he found out it was because I chipped my nail.  He was like, "Really Erin, really?"  Not my best moment.  

We kind of saw the sunset, it was pretty but getting chilly so we left to head back to Birmingham for the rest of our date :)

BTW I don't like Southern Accents, Josh said we could stay and look at the Quilt Show for as long as I wanted but hearing them talk kind of annoyed me and after all the crying I decided it was best to just go home, shower and pretend I did amazing. 

1 comment:

Kylene said...

I'm glad you had a fun trip. It does look like a beautiful area, Especially right now. Fall is fun! Most of our pretty leaves got blown away so I am sad that I don't have lots of pictures.